My husband (above, left) and his good friend ran the Kansas City Warrior Dash today. What a grueling event! And I hear it was hard for the race participants, too! :)
Some thoughts from today's race, in case you're looking for Warrior Dash tips:
- Parking is $10 cash. You can buy food there - BBQ sandwiches, giant turkey legs, water, lemonade, beer. Water/lemonade is $2 a bottle.
- Shuttles leave the parking area every few minutes, so you shouldn't have to wait long. The ride took 15-20 min.
- Hopefully you have at least one person coming to root you on - they will be handy for holding your stuff while you're dashing. I kept my husband's phone, ID, race tee & his Viking helmet in my backpack.
- If you have cheerleaders/stuff-watchers coming, suggest they bring lawn chairs. There is no seating available - I sat in the hot itchy grass for about 45 min.
- Also bring an umbrella - there is NO shade. Waiting in that sun was brutal. WEAR SUNSCREEN.
- If you don't have a stuff-watcher, you can check stuff at one of the tables, but word was the line was about a 45 min wait.
- The race is 3 miles long. My brother ran it in 54 minutes, my husband in 1h:18min.
- After the race, there is a giant water truck with a fire hose that sprays people off in a crowd. It rinses most of your top half, but people still had pretty muddy legs & feet.
- Some people wore two layers of shirts, so they could pull the top muddy layer off and have reasonably dry clothes ready to go.
- Bring stuff to protect your car seats on the ride home - like plastic trash bags & old towels.
- You might also want to bring some wet wipes to wipe down with. Leave them in the car so you can clean up for the drive home.
- You also might bring a spare pair of shoes - the shoes you run in will be toast. There's even a charity table at the end where you can donate your shoes.
Good luck, Warriors!