Posted on BlogHer:
As part of our BlogHers Act commitment to make a difference on the issue of maternal Health in 2007-2008 we are urging you to participate in the Blog Day for the Mothers Act, on October 24, 2007 . (Read Katherine Stone's personal postpartum depression story.)
On Wednesday October 24th, BlogHer, Postpartum Support International and Postpartum Progress are joining together to host Blog Day for the MOTHERS Act. We're asking bloggers from around the country to write about the MOTHERS Act for postpartum depression on the 24th and to encourage their readers to pick up the phone that day, call their Senators and urge them to endorse this critical legislation. I hope you will join us in this effort, which is part of the overall BlogHers Act 2007-2008 initiative to improve maternal health.
What is the MOTHERS Act? The Moms Opportunity to Access Help, Education, Research and Support for Postpartum Depression Act, or MOTHERS Act (S. 3529), will ensure that new mothers and their families are educated about postpartum depression, screened for symptoms and provided with essential services. In addition, it will increase research into the causes, diagnoses and treatments for postpartum depression. The bill is sponsored by Senators Menendez and Durbin.
Take action today:
- Visit the Postpartum Support International website and click the Welcome Bloggers button at the top to get all the information you need about the bill, how your readers can call their Senators, what to say, etc.
- Grab a Mothers Act Blog Day button and display it on your blog, now.
- Post your link in the comments to this page letting us know you'll be blogging on October 24, 2007.
- Tell your fellow bloggers about the Mothers Act Blog Day right now so that they can participate too.
- Start writing your Mothers Act Blog Day post and be sure to publish it on October 24, 2007. (Don't forget to tag your post with Blog Day for the Mothers Act, BlogHers Act, BlogHer, Postpartum Depression, PSI, Postpartum Progress)
- Once you've blogged your Mothers Act Blog Day post, return to this page and leave your url so that others can visit you.
- Write or call your Senator to show your support of Mothers Act.
I will be posting on October 24th with my personal experience with depression.