I made this snack mix as an "appetizer" for Christmas Dinner, so my brother (who has celiac & GERD) would have a munching alternative to flour-based baked goods and dairy-heavy dips. I added the nuts to the original Chex recipe.
Makes: 16 servings (1/2 cup each)
- ¼ c sugar
- 1t ground cinnamon
- 2c Cinnamon Chex® cereal
- 2c Chocolate Chex® cereal
- 4c popped popcorn
- 1/2c dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2c cashews
- 1/4c butter or margarine - lactose-free, if dairy is an issue
- Heat oven to 250°F.
- In small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix cereals, popcorn, and nuts.
- In 1-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on waxed paper or paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
SOURCE: Chex.com (which includes microwave instructions)