I used to make a version of this with canned apple pie filling, just to cut down on prep time. But when my brother was diagnosed with celiac disease and GERD, I developed this recipe using whole/raw/natural fruits, to avoid any gluten concerns. This combination of fruits is much tastier and tangier than my original recipe!
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored & quartered
- 1/3c golden raisins
- 1/3c dried cranberries (omit if sensitive to citrus fruits)
- 1/2c dried apricots
- 1/4c margarine (use lactose-free margarine, if dairy is an issue)
- 1/4c brown sugar
- 1t cinnamon
- 1/4t ground nutmeg
- 1/2c 100% apple juice (read the ingredients to verify no sneaky gluten additions)
- Layer apples in bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle other fruits on top.
- Sprinkle brown sugar & spices on top.
- Dot margarine on top.
- Pour apple juice around edges.
- Cook on HI 3-4 hours, or LO 7-8 hours.